Saturday, April 21, 2018

Paper Piecing Tips

Paper Piecing can be challenging with all those small pieces.  The Snoopy & The Red Baron block that I did, pushed me to my limits!  It had such tiny pieces!  I have found through teaching, learning and through other sewist, that lots of people don't know about these great little tips that help you with your paper piecing.

The pieces were so small I decided not to do for points on the eye and it turned out diamond instead of round.  I only have a slight regret :) .  The mouth had such tiny pieces I did it all white and added stitches for the teeth and my daughter Grace (Peanuts Freak) loved it.  I turned this into a travel pillow but don't have a picture of it.




  • First, there are rulers for paper piecing.  Not just 1/4" but also and 1/8" in both 6" & 12" lengths.  They have a little lip that sits on the part you fold back to cut the fabric down to seam.
  • Starch,  it helps in so many ways!  Don't worry about the paper looking horrible from so many starchings.  It helps it peel easier in the end.  (I like the tissue paper patterns over the paper for this reason, as well as the fact that it doesn't bulk up as much.)  
  • Use Bottom Line (60wt. thread)!  You will be amazed at what a difference this makes!
  • The above will not be as successful without a size 70 needle.  It is very noticeable when compared to the 80.  
  • Last, and although minimized is certainly not least, needle length size should be 1.0 - 1.5 (or 2.0 for bigger pieces).  This gives you enough stitches per inch (or mm :) to hold your work in place.

Happy Sewing!
Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment